Additional Wellness Information
Some helpful tips:
- Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
- Taking a walk outside while abiding by social distancing recommendations is a great way to get fresh air and exercise.
- Social distancing does not equal social disengagement! Virtual chats are a great way to remain connected with friends and loved ones in a safe way.
- Mental health is important! Meditation, self-reflection, guided imagery, deep breathing, and mindfulness are all great ways to manage stress.
Relaxing in spite of coronavirus worries?
From “Coping with coronavirus anxiety,” an online blog article dated March 12, 2020, published by Harvard Medical School, author John Sharp, MD provides the following helpful information.
Here are some tried and true ways to relax:
- Yoga – Not a yoga person? No need to start now unless you’d like to try it. Sometimes trying new things and discovering new activities you can benefit from and enjoy can be a welcome, healthy distraction. Yoga Studio and Pocket Yoga are good apps to consider.
- Meditation – Regular meditation is very calming. Many apps teach simple forms of meditation, such as Headspace or Calm.
- Controlled breathing – One simple technique is called square breathing. Visualize your breath traveling along a square. As you follow the instructions to inhale, hold your breath, or exhale, count slowly to three on each side. Try it now. Inhale up the first side of the square. Slowly count one, two, three. Hold your breath across the top. One, two, three. Exhale down the other side of the square. One, two, three. Then hold your breath across the bottom. One, two, three. After a few minutes of this you should be feeling calmer and more centered.
From MSAA’s MSi Videos and Webinars:
- Yoga and MS: Start Where You Are
- Keeping it Simple: Everyday Mindfulness for People Living with MS
- The Importance of Wellness Care in MS
From MSAA’s evergreen articles on wellness:
- Imagine the Possibilities: An Introduction to Guided Imagery and Its Potential Benefits for Individuals with MS
- Enjoying the Benefits of Yoga
- Express Your Feelings: Find therapeutic benefits, enjoyment, and even profit through writing!
- Crafts for Fun & Function