MRI Access Program
What is the MSAA MRI Access Program?
The MSAA MRI Access Program assists with the payment of cranial (brain) and c-spine magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans for qualified individuals who have no medical insurance or cannot afford their insurance costs and require an MRI to help determine a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis or evaluate current MS disease progression.
What is offered under the program?
For qualified individuals who have MS or when an MS diagnosis is suspected, MSAA will provide financial assistance with:
A. New MRIs: For people in need of new cranial and/or c-spine MRIs, MSAA will:
- Refer you to an imaging center that is under contract with MSAA. This applies to people who have no insurance or cannot afford their insurance costs. MSAA will cover the cost of a cranial (brain) MRI, c-spine MRI, or both; and will pay the imaging center directly.
- Cover the cost of your medical insurance co-pay or co-insurance balance up to a maximum of $750 per MRI (cranial and/or c-spine). You will need to forward the bill to MSAA, and MSAA will pay the billing facility directly. You will be responsible for costs exceeding $750 per MRI. Please note, MSAA does not cover the cost of reading fees.
B. Payment For Past MRIs: For those who have previously had a cranial and/or c-spine MRI, MSAA will cover up to $500 per MRI with a date of service within the past six months of the date of your application. You will submit your bill with your application and MSAA will pay the imaging center directly. MSAA does not reimburse individuals. You will be responsible for costs exceeding $500 per MRI. Please note, MSAA does not cover the cost of reading fees.
Important Note: Clients seeking MRI assistance through either options, A or B, must apply to the MRI Access Program and meet eligibility requirements.
How do I qualify?
To qualify for the MRI Access Program:
- Meet the Income Eligibility Requirement
- Have a confirmed MS diagnosis or seeking an MS diagnosis
- Have not received MSAA MRI assistance within the past 24 months
- Please avoid scheduling any new MRI appointments until a determination on your application has been made by MSAA
- Complete the application in full, sign and return all required information to MSAA
For clients or medical professionals in need of the Physician Review Form, you can download it here.
To Apply Online
Please select one option below:
NEW (looking to schedule a NEW MRI exam) or PAST (seeking payment for a PAST MRI exam)
To Complete a Paper Application
Please follow these steps:
Step 1. Download the updated MSAA MRI Access Program application.
Step 2: Please complete the forms, print, and sign.
Step 3: Please place the signed forms, along with required documentation, in an envelope and mail to:
Attn: MRI Access Program
375 Kings Highway North, Suite B
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
Applications can also be faxed to MSAA at 856-488-8257. For questions or to request a mailed copy of the MRI Access Fund application, please call MSAA at (800) 532-7667, ext. 142.
Aplicación en español disponible
Updated MRI Protocol
To help advance the quality of care for the MS community, MSAA proudly served on an international panel of MS experts to update guidelines for a standardized MRI protocol in multiple sclerosis. The guidelines were recently published in an article in the International Journal of MS Care. MSAA encourages you to download and share this article, Magnetic Resonance Imaging Protocol for Diagnosis and Follow-up of Patients with Multiple Sclerosis, with your healthcare team and local MRI imaging center.
The MRI Access Program is made possible with support from Biogen, EMD Serono, Genentech, Novartis, and Sanofi Genzyme.